Monday 4 September 2017

Putting hose before chart

Somehow seem to have missed August! Went on fantastic family hols to Polperro, 22 of us. In the museum was pleased to see the story of Willie Sterr's jumper given some prominence. I came across this story many years ago in book on Cornish Knit Frocks by Mary Wright, and it was lovely to be reminded of it. Basically, woman knits Guernsey. Son (or perhaps grandson) loses jumper. Woman sees jumper a couple of years later, recognises the patterns on it, calls police. Asked how she knows it is that jumper, many others have similar patterns. “Because I knitted a W under one arm, an S under the other”. “What’s your chap’s name?” “Willie Steer”. Pointing at thief - “what’s his?” Making kilt hose for John, did soem measuring up in Polperro. As I am going on a short workshop in November on cables, this made me think I am perhaps putting the hose before the chart, as by then I will probably be quite sick of Aran type yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment